Friday, January 3, 2014

A giant zucchini, and not a lettuce


Courgette, zucchini, whatever you prefer to call this bland and innocuous vegetable...this monster sneaked by me. (I call them zucchini, because then I can shorten it to zuc. You can't say "courg", it sounds silly.) Anyway, usually I spot them in time to pick them before they become monsters, but the occasional rebel hides in the foliage, growing unseen. You can't tell the size from the photo, but it's as big as my forearm.

I briefly considered putting it in the compost, but I couldn't bear to waste it so I decided to make zucchini noodles. I Googled "zucchini ribbons", just out of interest, and came across this brilliant tip: using a box grater as a mandoline!
This isn't me. I don't have blue nail polish.

I tried it, and it works well. Fast and efficient, and better than a mandoline or a julienne vegetable peeler. I found this tip on a gorgeous cooking blog called Top With Cinnamon, and spent quite some time reading the recipes and admiring the photographs. Here's the link to her recipe for zucchini spaghetti.

So I crushed some garlic and warmed it in some olive oil, added the noodles and a little lemon juice and a tablespoon of pesto and cooked them for a few minutes until the noodles were soft. I served the "pasta" with chopped cherry tomatoes, basil leaves, and a grating of parmesan on top. Given how bland zucchini are, it wasn't half bad and cost next to nothing.

Definitely not a lettuce
This strange vegetable is growing in my veg patch, and I don't know what it is. It came in a bundle of so-called mixed lettuce seedlings, but it is definitely no lettuce! At first I thought it was a variety of kale, given the purple-tinged leaves, but recently it developed that bulbous swelling. I would quite like to pick it and cook it, just to see what it tastes like, but I don't think I will. I'll leave it to see how big it gets. It's about the size of a large lemon at the moment.



11 comments:

  1. Is that a kohlrabi? I have never grown or seen one in the flesh so to speak. I like the sound of your courgette recipe. I made a slice out of one tonight for our tea by grating it, adding finely chopped onion, chopped ham, a little flour, grated cheese and some eggs beaten with milk. Then baking it in a slice tin. Delicious. I also like them sliced lengthwise and roasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think you may be correct, Sue. I've just Googled kohlrabi and the pictures look a lot like my specimen. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. My guess is kholrabi too.

    Graters of all kinds are evil. They nick fingers :) You meal sounds delish even so.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate graters too Anne... they are indeed evil!

      Delete
  3. Yup; purple Kkolrarabi. Not something I bother with personally; a little bland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I'd be scared for my fingers but great recipe and idea!! I have a hand held julienne slicer that is pretty safe and easy to use - and easy to clean afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother went overboard planting kholrabi one year. The summer of kholrabi. Terrible thing to do to a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, your comment made me laugh out loud!

      Delete
  6. That is one HUGE courgette! Kelly and Gordon (daughter and son-in-law) posted a photo on Facebook with one that size too.
    Making it into vege noodles is a good idea, rather than waste it. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd totally forgotten about zuchinni noodles. We have four plants and they are all going gang-busters! Thanks Judith

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated and very welcome. I will do my best to answer them.