Saturday, January 25, 2014

Maybe I need new specs

I drove home yesterday after catching up with friends in Tararua, and at one stage I was stuck behind a Linfox truck, with a few cars in between. I could just make out the slogan on the back of the truck, badly written in an execrable font with the letters running into each other and it appeared to say: "you are missing mother". You are missing mother? What? Not what you'd expect from a moving company.  What could have prompted this uncharacteristic whimsy? Not missing your mother, which might just barely have made some sense... Hmm.  For many kilometres I pondered this slogan, and it occupied the time wonderfully.

Then the traffic thinned and I was directly behind the truck, and I found the slogan is in fact:
Disappointing. Oh well. It passed the time.

11 comments:

  1. Ah the blindness of middle age
    Welcome to my world

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you wear glasses for distance? I know that was the first sign that I needed glasses, not being able to read things like this. I even missed the turnoff to Hamilton once and ended up in Rotorua :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL...I have had that happen occasionally...I just blame it on the unclear font

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we have a reasonable set of words worked out our brain is happy and we don't need to fiddle with alternate meanings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Brains are clever like that.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a game we play; mis-reading deliberately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually the mis-reading is much better!

      Delete
  6. I pulled up behind a similar truck at the lights the other day.... glanced at the sign... and read it as "you're passing a mother fox"...
    I did a double take, then cracked up and thought of you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated and very welcome. I will do my best to answer them.