Thursday, March 20, 2014

Not now, not ever

I am no admirer of politicians of any colour or stamp, in fact I despise them all. (Well, mostly. I quite like Jeanette Fitzsimons, but she's retired.) However I cheered when Julia Gillard was elected as Australia's first female PM a few years ago, not because of her politics but simply because she is female. Australian culture, and especially Australian politics, is deeply sexist and misogynistic. I cheered when she tore into that smirking sleazy Neanderthal throwback Tony Abbott, then Leader of the Opposition, now, unfortunately, Prime Minister:
"I will not be lectured about sexism and misogyny by this man, I will not. And the government will not be lectured about sexism and misogyny by this man. Not now, not ever.” - Julia Gillard, October 2012.
You can see and listen to the speech here on Youtube, if you're interested. Take note of Abbott - smirking and smug at the beginning, becoming increasingly uncomfortable as the speech goes on. True to form, the Australian media criticised her speech unmercifully, but overseas media was overwhelmingly positive and supportive and the video went viral.

All this is a preamble to what I found on Stuff.co.nz this morning - this wonderful musical version of her famous speech. Composer Rob Davidson has made a choral piece of her words. It is wonderful, wonderful!


Read more about "Julia Gillard's misogyny speech: the musical" here on The Vine.

3 comments:

  1. Good on JULIA. I've watched the speech several times, and continue to be amazed how calm she kept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't watched yet. I just wanted to say I too admired Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry. iPad froze again.
    Jeanette always seemed to 'walk her talk' - if you know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated and very welcome. I will do my best to answer them.